Updated: Dec 5, 2021
Another year, another holiday. I love Thanksgiving! Nothing like gathering around your table and feasting on food that took you two days to cook. Well, I can’t cook, but I happen to be the baker in my house. So I decided to make a pie. I always bring the dessert to family gatherings and they are scooped up lighting fast, there’s no time for seconds. I have made cupcakes, custom cookies, and icebox pies. I find baking makes
me feel more relaxed and useful. Like I am contributing to a day filled with love.
I wanted to bring a ready-made pie this year from my grocery bakery. I am not going to lie, it’s because I felt a little lazy this year with miss Rona still around and the unrest in the country. Alas, I found sticker shock. I did not want to pay fifty dollars for a pie or pay $25 for pecans. So I walked my little fingers over to Shipt and Target to find and purchase ingredients for my favorite pie: Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie.
The recipe, which I found on Pinterest was super easy. Now, unlike the steps on Pinterest with the 500 ads in between, I have laid it all out for you. Plus I have pictures to set the steps up as you go. I am here to help.
· 9 inch pie crust (store-bought is fine) most come in twos, use both.
· 1 cup of light corn syrup
· 2/3 cup of light brown sugar
· 3 large eggs
· ¼ cup of butter, melted
· 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· 1 ½ cups of pecan halves (chopped is fine)
· 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips get the best you can find.
Get everything organized. Like I said before, double your pie crusts. Pierce the pie crust so it doesn’t shrink. Crimp the out edges with a fork or however you like the crust to look. The instructions say to bake at 450. I did it at 375 because I have a convection oven and it cooks fast for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Stick a toothpick in to make sure it's cooked all the way through. While your crust is baking, mix your filling. After its crust is done, leave it out to cool.
· Mix the syrup, brown sugar, and eggs together.
· Make sure everything is well mixed.
· After that, add the melted butter, salt, and vanilla; mix well.
· As Moira Rose would say: Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
· Use a spatula for this part. Empty the entire content into the pie crust. It may spill over a little
Perfectly normal. It will bake out.
· Reset the oven temp to 350 and bake for 30 minutes (revised)until the top is golden brown like me.
Picture gram on how to :
Let it set it out to cool then transfer to the refrigerator to set further. Serve as is or heat it up and add ice cream or cool whip. It is so good. I will be doing this every year. Enjoy!
Want more food and design inspiration?